Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Real Parenting Conversations: Raziel

So, a week or two back, Firstborn asked if I would play "the Ghost Vampire Game" so he could watch. I'm not sure this is entirely age-appropriate, but what the heck; at least his first introduction to vampires won't involve any sort of sparkling. (Vampires in the Soul Reaver games are tragic, grotesque, and/or monstrous in varying degrees.) This led to the following conversation on the way to school this morning:

Firstborn: "I'd like to be Raziel."

Me: "Raziel is cool, but that might not be as cool as you think. He has no tummy. You know what no tummy means?"

Firstborn: looks interested.

Me: "No tummy means you can't eat waffles."

Firstborn: "But I could eat ghosts."

Me: "Well, yes. But... I don't know how ghosts taste, but I don't think they taste as good as waffles."

So, I don't know, guys. I'm not sure I'm winning this one. What do you think? Ghosts, or waffles?

7 comments:

  1. I'm thinking ghosts would be rather...bland. I could, of course, be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're likely in as much trouble as I am with my respective offspring. My sympathies -- on the plus side, it is never dull!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ghosts, absolutely. It's a fun party trick, it's an impressive talent, it's probably even a career. Anyone can eat waffles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of these days he's going to say one of these things to his teacher. That will make an interesting conference...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ghosts don't hold the syrup nearly as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good point. Though a light dusting of powdered sugar might work...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dunno, it would be a toss up. Waffles are delicious, no matter how they are prepared, though ghosts are as well. They're light and fluffy, with a few notes of blueberry, and maybe a bit of key lime. Sometimes you get one that has a hint of vanilla, and if malevolent, a touch of fiery cinnamon. I've even had a few that tasted of maple syrup. The really good ones taste like gin, rum, vodka, and tequila.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!