Thursday, February 16, 2012

Abuse is not affection II: Rude Adults

Fellow blogger imjustasteph posted another thought related to the link in my previous post: Boundaries: Or Why My Politeness Enables Your Rudeness. Go read it. Go read it now.
This started in response to a blog post that's going around, in which the author is upset at the 'oh, honey, he just picks on you because he likes you' excuse given to young girls for the bad behavior of young boys.

I'm not going to link to that, both because I'm lazy and because it's not really what this is about.

From that, I sort of got into ranting about how the problem isn't these behaviors in kids, but how they are excused and enabled, thus allowing them to continue into adulthood, where they continue to be excused and enabled.
Keep reading...

1 comment:

  1. I read it. It made my blood boil.

    So many times I just shut down instead of calling out the assholes. Times I tried to stand up for myself and made a big mess of it. Then I came to the realization that the people who were always telling me to stand up for myself really didn't want me to, and I got angry.

    I have a lot of trouble letting these things go, and I think that part of the reason is that should these boundary-violating situations happen again, I have no assurance that I would be able to handle them any more effectively now. Sometimes I wonder if there's really any way to handle them at all.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!