Monday, April 25, 2022

It's a process...

So, I spent most of Saturday running laundry and sorting it as it came out, and most of Sunday morning running the rest of the laundry and sorting the clean basket into piles that could actually be put away. This, so we could finally resume the Youth D&D game, which -- despite having a couple of missing members -- went pretty well. The monster that I'd decided was a good match for a party this size was, in fact, a good match for a party this size. (Though... in retrospect, I probably should have played the thing strategically instead of following the monster manual description and rolling for what kind of attacks it would make.) It managed to charm one of the arcane spellcasters in the first round, and paralyzed the barbarian in the second round, and then died in the third round despite all that. 

Meanwhile, I'm pushing ahead on the current writing project, albeit in fits and starts. I have the plot and the characters just fine, it's the pacing that I'm still trying to get a grip on. It's coming though, and more to the point I'm making steady progress. Not fast progress, but this is so much better than the last two projects that I don't even care. I'll take it. 

I've also done what I can to push for proper recognition at work; now I'm being patient. I'm going to check on something tomorrow, and if everything is where I think it is then I'm going to give it another day or two before I push for more information. Apparently there are Changes Coming for our department, so hopefully mine will get included in that -- and hopefully it won't be quite the, um, catastrophuck that I'm afraid it might be. 

I'm worried that we may be trying to correct previous bad decisions by, well... not admitting that they were bad decisions and then making more bad decisions. I hope that's not the case, but... let's just say that past precedent has not exactly filled me with confidence, here. Also, I will repeat an earlier thought: if my workplace didn't want me pointing out that actually they kind of suck, then they should have taken care of me years ago when I started taking over additional responsibilities, and again more recently (but still years ago) when our assistant CIO dumped a bunch of his old responsibilities in my lap.

Just a couple of more years until my retirement's locked in, though of course I won't be in a position to actually retire at that point. But I will have more options. 

Some days you just have to keep cutting, and hope your opponent falls before you do. 

Second song in the writing project playlist: Lucero, with Have You Lost Your Way?

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there Michael, I pray for the ultimate best outcome … I’ve been having issues with blogger, so frustrating but hopefully it is building my character 😁 sometimes the things that frustrate us most lead to unexpected beneficial outcomes 🙂 —- Susan from Bible Treasures

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!