Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Sol Povos: Tarric and Werendril

"So you're really serious about staying here?" Tarric asked. 

Werendril nodded, though he was looking out over the balcony railing and down towards Caristhium and seemed lost in thought. "Does that bother you?" 

Tarric shrugged. "I'd be lying if I said it didn't feel a little weird, now that Tavros is dead. Like you were trying to take his place in our little trio."

Werendril glanced over at the human paladin of Amun. "I'm not. Or if I am, it's accidental rather than intentional."

"I know," said Tarric. "It's just that you're here, and he's not. That feeling... that's a me-problem, not a you-problem, if that makes any sense." 

"I think I see what you're saying, yes. And I'm still sorry, because I don't want to cause you any awkwardness or difficulty. I'm here because..." He hesitated. "Ruin and I hold no blood relation. But we were raised like brothers, and I think of the children as a niece and nephew. I want to know them, to help raise them."

"I know," Tarric repeated. "And it's still awkward for me, and that's still not your problem." 

"Would you rather I went away?" asked Werendril, turning to face him. He was honestly curious, now. He didn't know what he might do with the knowledge he sought, but he wanted to know. 

"No," answered Tarric, and something eased in Werendril's chest. "No, however strange or uncomfortable I might feel, it's better that you're here. Anica and Aesa both are happier-- more relaxed. And I think the children are going to need you around. I'll get over myself, given time." 

"Time?" asked Werendril, still looking at him, "Or shared experience?" 

Tarric turned his head slightly, regarded the True Elf paladin. "What are you thinking?" 

"I'm thinking that your Abbess is doing good work here," Werendril said. "I'm thinking she might have some assignments that you and I could undertake together: helping to get some elves to Duendewood, delivering copies of the Study and Conclusions that the scholars put together, something like that."

"Oh," said Tarric, and turned that idea over in his mind. "You know, she just might."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!