Monday, April 4, 2022

Adventures in Camping

So... Secondborn slept in a tent last weekend, and then we had High Winds situation early in the week and the tent was trying to blow around the yard, so Beatiful Wife collapsed the tent and set something heavy on top to keep it in place. Unfortunately, she didn't look inside the tent first -- too busy getting it to stay still -- and we had a solid night of rain later in the week. So when I went to try to clear it out/break it down last night, I found: 
  • A pillow
  • A blanket
  • A sleeping bag
  • An entire outfit including shoes
  • The box for the Nintendo Switch, without the Switch but with a number of games

 All of which had been stewing in a couple of gallons of water (held in place by the waterproof floor of the tent) and two slices of week-old (and thoroughly soaked/half-dissolved) cheese pizza. 

So, I have now explained to Secondborn the Two Iron Laws Of The Tent (which, honestly, I probably should have gone over with him earlier, but I don't generally worry about raccoons and bears in our back yard): 

  1. No food in the tent.
  2. No electronics in the tent.

In the interest of preemptive safety, I should probably also cover #3, which is No Fire In The Tent; I'll do that tonight. 

All of this is in part because a friend and I are taking our younger boys camping in a couple of weeks. I'm actually looking forward to that, but... y'know... cautiously. At least with two of us we can split the cooking, which will be a huge load off. 

In other news, I'm still writing on the latest project, I'm finally finishing some of my more recalcitrant projects at work, and I'm sort of maybe getting my sleep schedule back under control. Trying, anyway. We'll see how long that lasts, but the more energy I have to work with the better off we all are. The weekend was busy, but fun: a night out with friends, the youth D&D game, the weekly D&D game I play in, and a bit of writing and other things. (I'm still studying Spanish and German in Duolingo, for example.) 

I am... cautiously optimistic about the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!