Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Years Revolutions

Right, so... I don't make New Year's resolutions. It's not that I'm opposed to resolutions in general, you understand, it just seems like trying to fit them to an arbitrary calendar date is counterproductive. I make a mistake, I resolve not to do it again, and then I work on, y'know, not doing it again. The date is tied to when I noticed I was making a mistake, or falling short of the mark, or whatever else needed to be fixed. Strangely, that very seldom coincides with January First.

That said, I do like the idea of setting everything down and starting over. I'm not sure how practical it is - as I get older, it seems that more and more things would just get picked right back up again - but even if the date is arbitrary, it's nice to notice and celebrate another year out of the way. So if you're celebrating the change from one calendar to the next, I hope you're having a fun and safe time of it. And if 2012 was unpleasant in any way, I hope 2013 is better for you.

And if, despite all your better instincts screaming at you to sleep, you're still awake right now... well, I hope you take the hint and go pass out. It's what I plan to do...

2 comments:

  1. The problem with taking the hint and passing out is that at 00:20 hours, the neighbors were setting off every firecracker they'd managed to get their hands on in the past couple of weeks.

    I tried passing out. The gorram fireworks were too damn loud. By the time 00:20 rolled around in your time zone (I'm on the east coast), the fireworks had stopped, but I no longer felt like sleeping. Argh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blech. I hate it when I pass my window. And when you've dipped just far enough down into sleep to take the edge off? That is absolutely the worst.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!