Friday, May 10, 2013

Real Work Conversations: To add, or not to add, that is the question

Event Person: "So, the link for Sponsor X doesn't seem to be working on our sponsor page."

Me: "This is true. There is no link for Sponsor X on our sponsor page. The reason there is no link for Sponsor X on our sponsor page is because I removed the link for Sponsor X from our sponsor page. The reason I removed the link is because this morning I received an email from the webmaster at Sponsor X asking me to remove the link from our page because it was somehow causing them to be 'penalized' by Google, whatever that means in this context."

Event Person: "Really?"

Me: "Yes. So, I have sent an email back to the webmaster from Sponsor X, the local franchise operator for Sponsor X, and our own sponsorship coordinator, and asked them to figure out an answer. I can put the links back up easily enough, but I really don't want to end up playing ping-pong with them."

Event Person: "Okay, then."

You have no idea how much I wish I was making this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!