Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Challenge: Childhood Misunderstandings

(This post is part of the Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge. You can find links to other writers' answers over at Long and Short Reviews. I have not been following along as reliably this year as I did in previous years, but I'm still participating! Mostly.)

Prompt: Things I totally misunderstood as a kid...

I grew up with a large-ish wooden chest in my room. It sat under the window, and we kept stuffed animals, sheets and blankets, and toys in it at various points. It had a lovely little cushion on top, and it was very solid and a good height for sitting on. So, naturally, we called it the seater chest, 'cause it served as a seat. 

Seater chest. For years, I genuinely thought that thing was a type of furniture known as a seater chest, in the same general way way that a small, two-person couch is a love seat. Made perfectly good sense. 

It wasn't until I was sixteen and getting ready to leave home, and we were rearranging the room, that I discovered it was called a seater chest because it was...

...made...

...of...

...cedar

It was a cedar chest, made of cedar wood, and my parents had put a cushion over the top for no better reason than that it seemed like a good idea at the time, not because that sort of chest was supposed to be padded for seating. 

I would not have been more surprised if I'd discovered that my mom had been a cephalopod this whole time. Absolutely mind-blowing. I don't think I've ever recovered.

9 comments:

  1. I love this story. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, what else were you supoosed to think, Michael 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea. Never even occurred to me that it might be something else.

      Delete
    2. I would have thought the same.

      Delete
  3. It made sense! It was the sort of mistake I would have made if I hadn't been exposed to cedar trees before encountering a cedar chest.

    Pris cilla King

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that actually makes more sense. I mean, we don't call anything else made of cedar after the type of wood, that I know of. And you DO sit on it.... 🤣🤣🤣

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!