Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Challenge: Best Nonfiction Book

(This post is part of the Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge. You can find links to other writers' answers over at Long and Short Reviews.)

Prompt: Best Nonfiction Book I've Ever Read

That's a tricky one. I don't read as much non-fiction as I should, and there aren't that many that stuck with me well enough for me to recommend. Still, I do have one: 

You're Stepping On My Cloak And Dagger, by Roger Hall. It's an autobiography written by a fellow who was assigned to the OSS (Office of Strategic Services) during World War II -- how he got there, his training, and eventually the missions he took part in. It's not what you might expect: not a lot of grand deeds, or the horrors of war, or important victories. What it is, more than anything else, is an insightful and humorous perspective into what it was like to be involved with the United States putting together one of its very first spy agencies.

8 comments:

  1. Interesting! Do you remember how you came across this book?

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it came up on the Kung Fu Monkey blog that John Rogers was running for a while.

      Delete
  2. I bet I would like it. I am fascinated by the lives of brave people. Here is my list of nonfiction favorites. I am new to the link-up and giving it a try today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome aboard! Always glad to have more people in the blogging challenge, even if it does sometimes do extremely unfortunate things to my TBR pile!

      Delete
  3. Well, now I'd like to read it, if I ever find it. It sounds as if my husband had read it, before we met, so long ago he never mentioned it. Or he'd read similar things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has the advantages of being both a fun and a relatively short read.

      Delete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!