Monday, March 20, 2023

Another week...

Between Daylight Savings Time, the boys going back to school after Spring Break, and Beautiful Wife being out of town for a couple of days, last week was a bit of a beating. Not horrible, just... a lot. Still, I'm starting to get the feeling that I could use a few days off. 

The part where a Windows update made one of our critical systems quit working in the middle of the day on Saturday didn't help.The issue wasn't that hard to resolve, but by the time I found out about it, it had been down for over an hour and I was off picking Firstborn up from his workout. It wasn't catastrophic, but it's stressful to know that we could have resolved it much sooner if someone had phoned me directly. I did, at least, mention that when I sent the "It's Working Again" email, so hopefully next time we can get things sorted more promptly. 

I mentioned that I'd been doing Friday Night Writes, and I'm still enjoying that and actually getting some work done there. (Shorter things, like I do for the blog, I can handle on my own; it's the book-length projects that I need help to stay focused on.) On Friday I found that I didn't have the -- something -- to work on the Dark Fantasy project, and went back to Random High Fantasy instead and got about 1,200 words done on it. 

I'm not sure why the Dark Fantasy project is fighting me right now. Possibly it's just because that's the one I'm most serious about, so when I'm tired I start worrying that I won't be able to put my best into it. Still, I think there are a couple of structural issues -- up to and including the thought that the entire first chapter was necessary for me to fill in my background and have something to work from, but isn't really where the story should start. I need to look over it again and think that through, but that -- of course -- requires time, energy, and concentration.

Things to focus on for this week include sleep, exercise, and writing -- plus some interesting developments at work. 

So let's start this week off with some music, shall we? Here's Mono Inc. with Voices of Doom:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!