Friday, December 2, 2022

Ruin: Paternity, Part Six

Later, Ruin would remember little of what Anica had blithely referred to as family time. They had eaten at a shared table, and he had been given his time to play with the two toddlers, Rune and Rose, as they practiced standing and walking and exploring. 

It was only when Aesa gathered up Rose, and offered Ruin her hand, and said, "Why don't you stay with me tonight?" that Ruin realized that he might not be dining with two established couples, but with something else entirely. 

Aesa's chambers were across the hall from those shared by the paladins. Ruin followed her inside, and watched as she placed Rose into a simple wooden crib, which she then scooted into place beside her own narrow bed. "So..." he said cautiously. "Werendril, and Tarric, and Anica? And you alone?" 

Aesa shook her head. "Not alone. I have the three of them. But those three fit together romantically, and I haven't taken a lover since..." she blushed. "...you."

Ruin nodded slowly, feeling sad. "That must have been difficult." 

Aesa shrugged. "In some ways. But seeing my friends happy is not that great a trial. And it's not as if I've been unhappy, myself. Yes, I might have wanted more, but..." 

She gestured towards Rose, who was leaning against the railing of her crib. Ruin extended a hand, and Rose grabbed his fingers. He turned his head to look at Aesa. "I'm not sure I can offer what I think you might want," he said cautiously. 

She shrugged. "I know. It's the end of the world, and you have things to do. You might get killed-- or I might. I just want to know that our daughter is safe, and loved, and moving into her own life."

Ruin nodded at that. "Whatever I can do," he said. 

"Stay with me tonight," Aesa told him. 

Rose leaned in, smelled Ruin's hand, then tottered back and rolled over onto her side. Aesa looked down at her, then reached in and pulled a blanket over her legs. 

"It's a small bed," Ruin observed, but there was a hint of a smile around his lips.

"We'll fit," Aesa assured him. "We did before."

"You're not worried about...?"

Aesa shrugged. "Amun and Corellon have their own ideas," she said. "No, I'm not worried. There's an orison to prevent it, if you want to be sure, but I don't think whatever plans they have for the two of us include further children. Not for a while yet, at least."

Ruin nodded slowly, as his daughter settled into sleep. "All right."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!