Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Challenge: Plotlines I Nope Out Of

(This post is part of the Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge. You can find links to other writers' answers over at Long and Short Reviews.)

Prompt: a plotline you refuse to read/watch, & why

I think I'm fairly open to most things, but I actually do have an answer to this: Any plot which centers around two people who fall brilliantly in love before discovering that one of them is sick/dying and their love is doomed to a tragic end. So anything by Nicholas Sparks, basically. It's not that I think there's anything wrong with it, mind you; it's just that I have no desire to do that to myself emotionally. At all. Ever.

What about you? What are your no-go plotlines?

7 comments:

  1. Well, that last comment didn’t seem to work. Let’s see if this one does.

    I avoid storylines like that, too. Good answer!

    Lydia :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, why put yourself through that unless it has a purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of love a good death story when it's written really well, I love having my heartstrings wrenched that hard - especially if the story carries on past the death and the person dealing with their love dying. But sadly they tend not to be either of those

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicholas Sparks has his moments. I still believe in true love, even though I was horribly abused; however, I still root for it. And yet, something like the person you FINALLY found is dying would make me sick to my stomach. I don't really want to read that either...then I start ugly-crying...it's just a topic I try to avoid...ugh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is sad and heartbreaking to read two people falling in love before discovering that one of them is sick/dying.
    I think story that are heavily emotional are hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. I never read stories like that. I want a happy ending to my love story, dang it.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!