Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Challenge: Fan-Fiction

(This post is part of the Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge. You can find links to other writers' answers over at Long and Short Reviews.)

Prompt: Thoughts on Fan Fiction

I'm going to resist the urge to define fan fiction (fanfic) here, because surely anybody reading my blog knows already... and if not, Google is easy. And based on the prompt, I'd assume that this is looking for us to address the question of whether fanfic is... I guess I'd say "legitimate" art, since that seems to be the usual debate around it. You're writing stories about the characters and settings and world of somebody else's stories; is that Art, or is it merely Derivation?

...And that's not a debate I particularly care to have. The idea is that writing stories that feature characters/worlds/magic systems/settings whose traits are already well-defined is arguably easier than coming up with your own characters and world and etc. I'm not honestly certain that that's true. But even if we accept for the sake of argument that it is, well... staying true to those well-defined characters/etc. while going your own way is its own challenge, and very easy to get wrong. And trying to make that work is also an excellent way to develop critical reading skills, not to mention writing skills. 

And on top of that all art is ultimately derivative. There is no new thing under the sun. Creativity, as they say, is the art of hiding your sources. No small number of creative works exist as nothing more or less than reactions to, or expansions upon, earlier works. Northanger Abby really isn't a terribly interesting book if you don't know any of the other books it's making unspoken remarks upon. Robert E. Howard's stories of Conan the Barbarian share the same world as H.P. Lovecraft's cosmic horrors, though admittedly that was more collaborative than "derivative" -- the two were contemporaries, and correspondents. Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber have an entire role-playing game based on them -- so does The Wheel of Time -- so anybody who plays either of those is arguably engaging in fan fiction. Or, more directly...  Heck, the books of the Bible build upon and argue against and exist in a sort of constant, fraught dialogue with each other.

So I guess where I'm going with this is that my main thought on fan fiction is that the line between fan fiction and other fiction is waaaaaaaaaaay more blurry than a lot of the modern dialogue or debate would have you believe.What we call fanfiction nowadays is a brilliant and elaborate way of engaging with an author's works (even if, for legal reasons, they aren't allowed to read it themselves). Stories written in reaction to existing works -- or building on them -- may have the serial numbers filed off, but they're awfully close cousins to fanfics. 

And I just finished reading a pair of stories, where the second author had written a story in the same world, with the same characters, exploring a possible situation that the original author never intended, which is published as a legitimate piece of literature. (This eBook includes both the original and the follow-up, and the follow-up is both a perfectly good story in its own right and also fanfiction by any standard definition of the term.) 

So many people start writing because they love reading. It seems abjectly silly to criticize them for writing about the story-worlds that they love.

9 comments:

  1. I love everything about this! And I wholeheartedly agree. It is interesting - I don't write much fanfic because of the constraints implied by cannon. What if I get something wrong? What if I don't like what that character would do in cannon? It's so much easier (for me) to play with the ones I've created, that way no one can say, "But.... but... but... episode 7 of season 4 they did this!" Hahaha.

    My post

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’re totally right. There is nothing new under the sun. And lots of “serious” is definitely derivative of other works, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very thoughtful. It is, like most things, more complex than debates tend to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I replied to you on my blog as well, but here's what I said as it replies to this post!

    I agree. I think it's like many things - there's a very wide range of what's available, and it's not all the same or of the same quality. There are a lot of nuanced elements to this discussion, and when I started reading I just kept thinking, "everything is based on something else!!!" and then you made exactly that point. I think it gets a bad rap because anyone can do it so obviously it's not all going to be great, there's a tendency to look down on people who band together into fan groups of pretty much anything in our culture, and it's another of those things people do for free on the internet, which always seems to devalue things with a few exceptions. I don't think it's fair really to block it all together into one reaction, as I think there's just such a wide range. I don't have a problem with it, if it's something the creators enjoy making and their group of followers enjoy reading, why not?? I bet some of it ends up better than or as good as the original, and who's to say what is or isn't worthwhile creative pursuit? Anyway, long way to say, good post, spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a lot easier to write something base on an already existing world. The challenge to that is thinking of how the world works and the characters behave.
    I agree that everything can be seen as fanfiction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always felt that there are like nine plot [lines] in the world and we keep regurgitating content based on those formulations -- at least I've noted, since I've gotten older, that I see this more and more as I read and I age.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I said in my own post, I found fanfiction very useful from a critical perspective for developing my own writing skills. It definitely serves a purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love everything about this post. My thoughts on fanfic are here, but I certainly don't care if anyone reads or writes it :-) Personally, I don't think it would be easier... but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. See - I would actually say that writing fanfiction is harder. Because your readers, like you, already know those characters/worlds/magic systems/settings - and you have to make them recognisable in what you're writing. You have to get the characters voice, mannerisms, everything about them, they still have to match the original character. Even when you're taking them outside the setting, putting them in different scenarios, they still have to be that same character - or your reader isn't going to be interested.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!