Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Challenge: Books into Films

For the last two years, I've been taking part in the Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge over at Long and Short Reviews. (The first link will take you to the list of topics; the second one goes to the homepage, where you can find a post with everyone's responses each week. Feel free to join in!)

This week's prompt is "book I wish they'd make into a movie or TV series" and let me tell you, I didn't even have to think about it. 

It's Martha Wells, of course, but it's not Murderbot -- I honestly don't think that a movie could do Murderbot justice. No, it's The Books of the Raksura. It's got everything:

  • A cranky protagonist.
  • An even crankier mentor-figure.
  • A matriarchal society of were-dragons.
  • Flying ships. 
  • Ancient mysteries. 
  • Strange magics.
  • A sprawling fantasy world in which none of the races are human, and which owes more to Nature Channel documentaries than to medieval Europe.
  • Dangerous enemies. 
  • Amazingly cranky queens.
  • Some surprisingly sweet moments and all the little details that make the world come alive. 
  • Five full books and two short-story collections to work from. 

Seriously, the Books of the Raksura are just begging to be made into a TV series, and someone should have optioned them ages ago. 

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for coming by! I've added this (as well as Murderbot) to my TBR list... thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve never read The Books of the Raksura. That needs to change, so I just requested The Cloud Roads from my local library. It’s the first one in the series, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I highly recommend them. Right up until Murderbot suddenly caught the public eye, Martha Wells was one of the most underrated authors I knew of. She's been creating quality stories for years.

      Delete
  4. I hadn't heard of this, so I'll add them to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're fun, and very much not your typical fantasy setting.

      Delete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!