Thursday, August 4, 2011

Saw this on Facebook

Shameless reposted from someone else's note on Facebook...
My life as a conservative
I consider myself a conservative because, well, while I don't really care what people do with their bodies or religious lives, I tend to plan for our country and my own family in the long term rather than the short term.

Current studies have indicated that if pollution and warming trends continue we may have NO sea life in 30 years. Do we really want to live in a world that broken, even if it's possible? So, what should we do? Tax the hell out of polluting companies and try our best to avert disaster. That's what someone who conserves resources (both money and environmental) would do.

Other studies indicate that for every dollar you spend on educating a child through public education, you basically eliminate the need to spend three more dollars on incarceration. So, I'll spend money making people better as students rather than creating more criminals.

I keep thinking about where we seem to be as a country and it is surreal to me that we have allowed this massive and ridiculous gap to develop between "rich" and middle class. I would conserve our middle class, which is slowly falling into lower class status. We should fight for the elements of America that make life worth living. We should conserve them before we lose them.


For a related set of comments, check out Kung Fu Monkey's I Miss Republicans and his follow-up, I Still Miss Republicans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!