Sunday, August 21, 2011

Kindergarten

Firstborn starts Kindergarten in the morning. I'm taking him to school on my way... well, before I go... to work. Apparently if we get there about 7:15, we can get breakfast in the cafeteria and get him into his classroom. That's about the time I'm normally driving towards my job, so I'm not entirely sure how this is going to work.

On top of that, apparently Firstborn is scheduled for the latest of the three available lunchtimes, so it'll be a while before he eats again. Beautiful Wife therefore wants to make sure he doesn't get hungry. Beautiful Wife wants me to make sure that I feed him a waffle and some sausage before we leave. In order to do that, I would have to get up at... I don't know, but tomorrow morning keeps getting earlier and earlier. Maybe I should set my alarm for 5:00 a.m. and hope for the best?

I'm tired just thinking about it.

Meanwhile I've spent the day sort of half relaxing and half cleaning. (Beautiful Wife and Handsome Boys are down with my parents; by this point in the afternoon, they should all be in the pool.) I've made a huge amount of progress on the housework (he said, modestly) but I've also worn myself out. I'd like to do some writing - story writing, not this look-at-my-life blog writing - but since it looks like I'm going to need to go to bed at about eight o'clock in order to get a full night's sleep, I don't think that's going to happen.

And I'd really appreciate it if my sinuses would ease up on me a bit. Yeesh.

First World Problems: not unlike being pecked to death by ducks.

7 comments:

  1. Awww...such a good husband and dad. A question, though. If you feed First Born a waffle before you take him to school is he going to eat the 7:15 a.m. school breakfast? Is that going to help with the time span between 7:15 a.m. and the late lunch? Peck..peck peck...peck.

    Again, First World problems suck.... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I have no idea how the "feed him, and then take him in and feed him" plan is supposed to work. But then, just at this moment, I'm not sure I could spell my own name correctly, even if prompted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah well, you guys will figure it out. I hope First Born has a fantastic first day of Kindergarten!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can do it!

    *I* never got sausage and waffles before school. Clearly my parents laugh in the face of ducks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there any possibility of him getting a morning break when he might be able to eat a small snack like a piece of fruit, a small bag of granola or a meal replacement bar? Might work better than trying to get him two breakfasts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He'll never be a proper hobbit if he doesn't learn the joys second breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apparently there is a morning snack (presumably because, despite the best efforts of our Texas legislators, the school is not yet run by maniacs). So he has an extra bit of food in his lunchbox to cover that, and I'd bet that will carry him over just fine.

    And, yeah, I skipped the make-him-a-waffle-myself part of the plan. Just stuck my fingers in my ears and la-la-la-ed my way right past it. So he'll probably never be a proper hobbit. That's fine, though - I think our family runs more to dwarf blood. We're not that light or fast or dextrous, but we're darned tough. And we do not like to be tossed!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!