Monday, August 22, 2011

First Day of Kindergarten

Despite the current chaos, I managed to get Firstborn to school. On time. Unruffled, even. Here's how it went:

First, I went into Firstborn's bedroom to wake him up:
Yes, that's Cthulhu on the bed beside him.


I shook him, and said something profoundly important, like, "Hey! Time to get up! C'mon, it's time to get up!" But, as you can see, I was not sufficient to the task:


So I tried again, and this time (when I removed the comforter) he did get up. Yay, me! Yay for Firstborn!

Then he brushed his teeth:


Then we loaded everything up and got in the car. Then, halfway down the block, we turned around and went back for his backpack (which also has his lunchbox). Then we tried again, and this time we made it to the school! Hooray!

So we parked and walked in:


Except, I made him stop so I could take the obligatory In Front Of The New School On The First Day shot, like so:


There was supposed to be a chance to grab breakfast in the cafeteria, but first they sent us into the gymnasium, where they were assembling stray students. Stray parents, too.


After a couple of minutes, someone came into the gym and found us again, and explained that actually the cafeteria was open, and they'd just been confused about that. So they pointed us at the cafeteria, and we went and collected food.

It turns out that the cafeteria uses a sort of debit system for the students. So I could buy breakfast for Firstborn, or I could just hand them some money to put in his account. Since breakfast was a whopping $1.10, and I was paying with a $10 bill, I had them just put the rest in Firstborn's account. So now he's covered for another eight meals or so.

And what a meal! He had a corndog... well, sort of. It was actually a sausage on a corndog stick, and it had been cooked in pancake batter instead of corn bread. But Firstborn loved it, and om-nom-nommed his way right through it. There was a little plate of scrambled eggs with cheese, and he ate some of that, too. Then he drank most of his chocolate milk. He could have had a side of sliced pears, too, but he decided that this was enough food.


Once he was full, I walked him down to his classroom. He found his locker and put his backpack inside, and then we went into his classroom and he found his seat. There were crayons and paper already out, so he started drawing something (I'm guessing a scorpion or a monster). I took one last picture...


Then he got busy drawing, and I slipped out of the classroom like a sneaky, sneaky ninja-daddy.

And there you have it. That's how Firstborn started his First Day Of Kindergarten.

The End.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, though he looked tired and a bit cranky in some of the pics, he didn't look too scared or like he was crying.

    How did mommy and ninja-daddy handle it when the firstborn could no longer see it? My boys start tomorrow. This year is different than last for us. They are ready for school and the AH and I won't be leaving crying this time.

    Hope he has a good first day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I didn't have any trouble with it; I just dropped him off and went back home to get the garage door fixed, 'cause I'm strange like that. (So is he, actually - he was still tired and not very awake, but he didn't seem at all worried about it.)

    The Beautiful Wife started her semester (teaching English) today, so she was gone. That's really why I took all those pictures: she threatened to cut my toes off with a rusty pair of pinking shears if I didn't take at least one.

    Well, okay, not really. But this way she does get the experience vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "He had a corndog... well, sort of. It was actually a sausage on a corndog stick, and it had been cooked in pancake batter instead of corn bread."

    So... a pig in a blanket on a stick?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I've got some tears in my eyes and I don't even know first born! Memories. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Big A - A Pig in a Blanket as prepared by Vlad Tepes, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh...they have those sausages wrapped in a pancake on a stick at Sam's Club. They are delish!

    Yay! Firstborn and ninja-daddy did great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwwww. Gotta love that expression in front of the school. The "Dad, if you don't stop taking pictures with that thing, I'm going to maul you" expression.

    And .... Don't you know? Everything tastes better on a stick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it weird that I spent about 15 minutes trying to come up with a clever way to combine "Dracula" and "Pigs in a Blanket" before giving up?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Mike - that's certainly the way that renfaires approach their food.

    @ Big A - It would be, except now you've got me doing it. So it's obviously completely normal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I shook him, and said something profoundly important, like, "Hey! Time to get up! C'mon, it's time to get up!" But, as you can see, I was not sufficient to the task

    Brings back memories, all right: for thirteen solid years, I was not sufficient to the task. Hope you have better luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. /Well, while your dad is kidnapped at your house where last I knew he was going and it is now 2pm, I have finally gotten to this and find it charming. I do wish you would put a brush in your car as I distinctly remember brushing you guys on 635 years ago on our way to Brookhaven Child Dev program. Kids sat by their moms then--many, many years ago. Love and Kisses, Mom

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!