Monday, May 2, 2022

That time of year

We've hit the busy season at work, and I do not want to do it. On the other hand, we've had a delightful, relaxing weekend. There is no truth without balance, and like that.

May, generally speaking, is not a good month for me. This year, it's going to be complicated by the fact that we're making another run at going live with a system that... well, let's start by saying that I don't think we're adequately trained on it, I'm not at all sure it's actually ready, and I expect this is going to produce a large number of last-minute panics right in the middle of another major event or two.

On the plus side, we finally managed to have Secondborn's birthday party. There was fire. (On purpose.) The boys roasted their hotdogs and then made s'mores. I got to try out my new back yard fire pit. Secondborn's friends are awesome, and I finally got to speak to both their moms at once so I now have a better idea of when we might be able to schedule a Youth D&D game for this group. Which is totally the plan. 

Do I have some reason to hope that work might finally adjust my job description and pay scale to recognize the amount of additional responsibilities that I'm carrying? Yes. Am I applying for a different job elsewhere after nearly twenty-two years here? Also yes. Is my current workplace compensating for bad hiring decisions by making more bad hiring decisions? Kind of looks that way, yeah. Does that really affect me in any way I might care about? Probably not...? If I do go elsewhere, is that going to screw my current workplace? Also probably. Depends on how well they listen, and given the current precedent I don't have high hopes for that.

The writing project is coming along... I don't want to say "nicely" because it's a bit like wrestling a bearagator (they do exist, but you have to be pretty deep in the Florida swamps to see one), but it's coming along and that's more than I can say for the last three or four projects. This one may actually see the light of day.

I need a lot of sleep, but we're all pretty much used to that by now. So that's going to be my focus for May: self-regulate. Get enough sleep. Remember to just stop when I need to. 

How're the rest of you doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!