Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Challenge: Favorite Podcast

(This post is part of the Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge. You can find links to other writers' answers over at Long and Short Reviews.)

Prompt: Your favorite podcast

I... honestly, for the most part, I don't listen to podcasts. At all. It's nothing against them. I've had some really brilliant-sounding podcasts recommended to me, and I know people are doing some really great work out there. It's just... well, for one thing I'm way more visual than auditory, so the format isn't really ideal for me, and for another thing there are only so many hours in the day. 

So the closest thing to a podcast that I do regularly is join The Analog Demon for his Wednesday night horror movie watch parties. (He hosts them through Twitch, but you'll need to have an Amazon Prime account connected to watch along on the movies.) Maybe that even counts as a podcast; I dunno.

Shows include an appropriately-themed suggestion for an alcoholic drink, a certain amount of background and commentary, and then a bit of commentary as he watches the movie. The audience can participate in the chat. Sometimes he does blind watches of movies he hasn't seen before, and sometimes he uses audience picks, and for me it's just a fun time to take a break and hang out with a friend online.

(Seriously, if you're going to be friends with a demon, make sure it's a demon who's willing to host online movie nights.)

4 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting! How violent are the movies he watches in general? (E.g. is it gory horror? Psychological horror? A mix of sub genres?)

    I really like group watching stuff, but this darn pandemic has made my anxiety so much worse that I can’t handle the gory stuff anymore. Here’s hoping that changes in a year or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did! It did go through!

      It's really all over the place. It's been everything from suspense/psychological horror (Black Box) to cheesy eighties monsters (The Brain) to gore and body horror (V/H/S, The Fly, Silence of the Lambs) to humorous (The Comedy of Terrors). At one point we were going to watch Halloween 3: Season of the Witch and it had just gone off Prime, so he switched over to Robocop instead. So really, all over the place - though I think you can definitely make an argument for Robocop as body horror.

      You can check his Twitter feed here to see what he's planning for any given Wednesday night - he usually puts up a little announcement late in the day:
      https://twitter.com/theanalogdemon

      Delete
  2. Oh, my goodness! That comment actually went through. I can’t tell you how many comments I’ve left on your site that I don’t think ever went through. So glad this one did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds interesting. I only got into podcasts to manage an hour commute-two hours a day in traffic, and they helped a lot and I had subscriptions to quite a few. That's all changed, and I just keep my favorites around.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!