Tuesday, September 9, 2014

True Parenting Conversations: How could you do dis to me???

Before dinner...

Me: "You guys both understand that we're not playing any video games after dinner, right? I'm going to be sorting laundry, so I'm taking over the TV in the living room."

Boys: "Okay, sure, no problem."

After dinner...

Secondborn: "I am going to pway Minecwaft on the P. S. Thwee."

Me: "No, you're not."

Secondborn: "I am."

Me: "No, I'm going to put on a movie in there while I sort laundry."

Secondborn: "NOOOOOOO! WHY WOULD YOU DO DIS TO ME??? I JUST WANT TO PWAY MINECWAFT!"

Me: "I'm not punishing you, kiddo. I just--"

Secondborn: "Daddy, I am twying to tell you something."

Me: "...And I'm trying to answer your question. Okay, go ahead, kiddo."

Secondborn: "WHY ARE YOU DOING DIS TO ME? WHY DID YOU SAY NO VIDEO GAMES? I WAS GOING TO PWAY MINECWAFT ON THE P. S. THWEE!"

Me: "Because I need to sort laundry in the living room, and... you know what? Since I am slave to your merest whim, and waaaaay too tired to deal with a temper tantrum right now, how about I set up the PS2 in the back room? Would you be okay with that?"

Secondborn: "I would be otay wif dat."

Me: "Thank the dark and forgotten gods. Let's go do that."

So now he's playing Star Wars: Battlefront II on the PS2 in the back room.

3 comments:

  1. You mean you don't want to watch mincrafting whilst you sort?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that's how sorting laundry takes twice as long as it should... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not like to watch minecraft. I do no like it on raft. I do not like it in the bath. I do not like to watch minecraft. I would not watch it in a car, I would not watch it near or far, I would not watch it in a bar... though admittedly, the rum would help numb the pain...

    And, yeah, that's exactly why we can't get anything sorted. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!