Thursday, December 29, 2011

Right Behind: a brief explanation

It occurs to me that not all of my readers will recognize the "Right Behind" tag on the current story, so let me take a moment to explain.

A while back, I got interested in Fred Clark's deconstruction of the Left Behind books (and films). These are really awful books, both theologically and stylistically; but they're awful in some rather instructive ways, and Fred Clark has a real knack for pointing up where they go wrong and how they could have gone right (or at least, closer to right).

Now, not everyone responds to stories with commentary; some of us respond with stories of our own. And that, basically, is the origin of the Right Behind blog (also available from my sidebar): some of Fred's commenters set out to see if they could write better version of the scenes in the Left Behind books, or to experiment with alternate apocalyptic scenarios, or to head off into other, related bits of fiction. And having written these things, it seemed like a good idea to have some sort of repository for them, so they didn't get lost in the comment threads. And that, as I understand it, is how Right Behind was born.

They Are Legion is a Right Behind story. (I've requested access to the Right Behind blog, to post it there as well, but meanwhile I'm also posting it here.) So that's what's going on here.

4 comments:

  1. Um, rumor has it that I'm an admin over at Right Behind for reasons lost to me in the mists of time. I'll see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need the email address you use with Blogspot. Send it to me via one of the various forms of communication available betwixt us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh--I need to check that out. I have a love-hate thing with the Left Behind books, just as I do with Elsie Dinsmore. :>

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!