Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Challenge: Something I'm Proud Of

(This post is part of the Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge. You can find links to other writers' answers over at Long and Short Reviews.)

Prompt: Something I'm proud of doing

Well, okay. I've got a solid answer for this one. Positively heroic, even. 

A few months ago -- just a bit before Thanksgiving, I think -- I happened to be in my local Target and I happened to be waiting in line to check out. There was an older man, white-haired but spry, buzzing around the checkout lanes. I'd guess he was in his late fifties to early sixties, but he might have been older and just very active. 

Anyway, he's moving around grabbing gift cards off the racks in front of the registers, and the nice woman in front of me (also a customer) is helpfully pointing him to where he can find more of them. He finally gets a nice big handful together, and turns back...

...At which point I catch his eye. "It's none of my business," I tell him, because he looks like the sort of guy who'd appreciate the sentiment, "but... you're getting those cards for yourself, right? For your own personal use? You didn't get an email asking you to rush out and buy a bunch of them?"

And he says, "Well, no, but my boss--" He stops. He looks at me. Then he says, "It's a scam, isn't it?"

I nod. "I would bet serious money that it's a scam. I'd get in touch with your boss and double-check before you pay for any of that."

He just shakes his head, looking disgusted, and sets the whole pile back on the little shelf. Then he thanks me and walks out of the store.

So there's something I'm proud of: I'm proud of saving that one random guy from getting ripped off. And I'm proud of making one scammer's day just a little more frustrating.

9 comments:

  1. Good for you! You saved him a lot of money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job.... you SHOULD be proud of that. Too many people would just think "it's none of my business".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my, BE PROUD! Scammers are the worst, ever. Great job at seeing what was really happening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the others -- that's definitely something to be proud of. Most folks would have minded their own business but you really made a difference to that person. Good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael, that's something to be proud of, for sure! Many wouldn't have taken the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! It's frighteningly easy to get caught by these things.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!