Monday, October 31, 2022

The House, Part Five

"I can't find any way in," said Chris, staring at the tower. "That's what's making me crazy about all this."

"Why does that bother you?" asked Rebecca. 

"Because... well... they keep intruding on us." Chris searched her face, looking for some answering desire, some spark of agreement. "I'd like to walk in on them for a change, see how they live."

"Chris," said Rebecca. "You saw Rachel. You know that might be a really bad idea."

Chris sighed. "I suppose."

"Let them be," she said. "They're not doing us or anyone else any harm -- not that we know of. They just haunt the house, and it seems like they need someone to own it. Or they like it better when someone does, anyway."

"And that's us," said Chris.

"That's us."

Chris looked the tower over one more time. "I guess I can live with that," he said. 

He started to turn away, but a sudden spark of light caught his eye. There was an open door -- a section of brick had swung out from the tower. Standing in the doorway, lit from behind, was the man in the heavy coat, with his beard and his hood and his glasses. "Do you really want to see?" he asked. 

"As much as we can stand," Rebecca said carefully. "No more. I know it isn't always... safe."

The man nodded.  "This much will be," he said. "You have my word."

Rebecca glanced at Chris, who looked back at her and reached for her hand. "Ridiculously haunted," he said. 

"Ridiculously," she echoed, and pulled him forward. 

They stepped inside, and the tower closed behind them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!