Sunday, December 5, 2021

Writing? What is writing?

This weekend has been a lot more relaxed than those from the last few weeks. Beautiful Wife and I managed to go see Dune -- with some friends yet -- and then eat together and discuss it afterwards. (I am not having much look persuading people that Dune is clearly a Christmas movie, though. Unfortunate, that.) This sort of thing was rare for us even before the pandemic began, and I'm very much afraid that it's about to become rare all over again as the next waves of the pandemic come around.

Hopefully I'll be wrong about that. 

Even so, December seems to be hurtling along towards 2022 at breakneck speed, and I am absolutely up to my eyeballs with projects at work even as the holidays and related vacations make it harder and harder to coordinate with the people I need for those. One of them, at least, we've simply rescheduled for mid-January; it would take one of our systems down for anywhere from twenty minutes to several hours, and we can't afford to do that right now. And I haven't seen any movement on job reclassification or the alternate position I applied for. I know people are aware that I've applied -- it's at least been mentioned -- but my employer tends to handle such things with a speed that might best be described as "glacial".

So taking the weekend and just... not breaking my neck trying to Clean All The Things and Run All The Things and actually just slowing down a bit has been good. Maybe not quite enough, but good. At least I don't feel like I'm balancing on the edge of collapse. It helps that 3/4 of the youth D&D game couldn't make it (finals and projects and grade, oh my!)  so it was basically just Firstborn and his friend hanging out for a couple of hours and playing videogames. I took a nap. (A nap!

And I've got another D&D game tonight (Sunday), rescheduled from its usual Tuesday night.  It very nice to feel like I'll get there with enough brain intact to play well and keep up with the math. (It's 3.5, which is a lot mathier than Fifth Edition.) Looking forward to that.

What I haven't gotten back is enough energy and focus to do more than minimal writing. I've added the next scene for Dark Armor for Friday, but the Magic School for Monsters project is essentially stalled. I need to start setting aside time specifically for that, but for that to happen I need to get a lot of things more organized, my sleep schedule chief among them. 

Take care out there, my friends. December is shaping up to be wild, and not always in a good way.

2 comments:

  1. "December hurtling toward December..." That's a quite a trick. I'd expect it to be hurtling toward January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're caught in a time loop, destined to endlessly relive December.

      Delete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!