Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Challenge: Funniest Book

For the last two years, I've been taking part in the Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge over at Long and Short Reviews. (The first link will take you to the list of topics; the second one goes to the homepage, where you can find a post with everyone's responses each week. Feel free to join in!)

This week's topic is "the funniest book I've ever read," and y'all... I'm torn. 

There are obvious choices, like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or The Princess Bride or Catch-22, and for me those are all strong contenders. There are also the "books" that are republished comics, equally valid -- I'm honestly not sure I would have survived college without Bloom County and Calvin and Hobbes. 

But those are all popular choices, and while there isn't anything wrong with that -- they're popular precisely because they're funny -- I don't think that naming them here really adds anything that y'all don't already know about. So... how about some things that folks might not be familiar with already? 

Everywhereist recently posted a review of The Worst Michelin-Starred Restaurant Ever, and on the strength of that writing I've gone ahead and purchased this book. To be clear: I have not had a chance to actually read it yet. But go read that review and tell me it doesn't sound like a pretty safe bet. 

Next up is Nine Goblins, a fairly light-hearted fantasy short. (Sometimes, you just have to cheer for the goblins!) It's by T. Kingfisher, and if you enjoy it you should check out the author's other works. I'd particularly recommend the Paladin series and A Wizard's Guide To Defensive Baking, because if your sorcerous familiar isn't a sourdough starter then what are you actually doing with your life? 

Lastly, I'm going to recommend the Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse books -- a thoroughly enjoyable and humorous sci-fi series in which the janitors are the only ones left to save their battleship after a mysterious plague turns the rest of the crew into, well, basically zombies... and they have keep this from happening again. In spite of what their bosses have to say about it. 

So that's what I've got. What have you enjoyed that I might be missing? (If you took part in the challenge, feel free to link to your own post in the comments!)

2 comments:

  1. I'm already sold by the titles. -- A Wizard's Guide to Defense Baking and Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse. LOL! Have a very happy holiday and see you next year on the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, I saw that review. I may have to check out the book.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!