Friday, August 16, 2013

Rocket Man has a Little Toy Gun

We're troubleshooting an iPad for one of the managers here at work. The problem is that the wee beasty seems to lose power when he's using it - which sounds pretty normal until you realize that it he has it plugged in. That shouldn't be possible. The thing should be able to charge no matter what it's running.

We've tried just about everything. We've made sure it really is plugged in. We've switched out the cables. We replaced the tablet itself.

It's still doing it.

At this point, we've pretty much narrowed it down to the brick - the piece that converts the power from the wall plug into something the iPad can use. We think it's just an elderly brick that isn't working as well as it should. (We actually tried replacing the brick earlier, but apparently changing it out for an equally elderly brick didn't solve the problem. Go figure.)

To test this, we've plugged the iPad into a new brick, and turned on everything - every app it has on it is running. Which means, of course, that we are now... privileged... to listen to the music of upper management. Unfortunately, Upper Manager only has two songs on his iPad, so we've been playing them on a loop (and presumably in random order, but as you might imagine it's a bit hard to tell).

To help you better envision the effect this is having, I'm embedding both songs below the cut. All you have to do is play one, and then the other, and then repeat this process until you run out of electricity.

Honey Honey - Little Toy Gun


Elton John - Rocket Man


Go on. You know you want to. Just play them. Play them over and over and over and over and over and over and...

4 comments:

  1. Don't worry. I've experienced higher-up-induced musical overexposure myself*, and after a few years you run out of hatred and can feel only utter apathy at the prospect of hearing the songs again. (The strong yearning [to get out of earshot] ends, if you will.)

    (Do iPads not have a headphone jack? Do you not carry a set of earbuds with you wherever you go, just in case? Or do you have to be listening to the thing at all times to make sure it's actually playing?)

    *Don't you ever get tired of that CD, Mom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, we probably could have put headphones in. We were using the music to make sure the thing was still awake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had a wonderful realisation and I feel the need to share. I'm telling you because it seems like the sort of thing your brain would do, so I figure you'll appreciate it.

    This morning, I had a dream of post-apocalyptic remnants of society who lived in fear of machine-fly hybrids that killed people and bred in the skin of their corpses. When I woke up, I scrounged up enough memory to be worth writing in my dream journal, and after that thought little of it.

    Until about half an hour ago, when it hit me: it was a pun. They were bot-flies. My subconscious was making a pun. I feel a little bad about taking six hours to realise it, but mostly I just feel so proud of my brain, going and making a pun without me. You go, brain.

    I really hope I'm not reading too much into a coincidence. The idea that my subconscious loves terrible puns as much as my conscious fills me with glee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't care if it's coincidence or not. That is AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!