Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Primal Whimper

Sadly, the short story that I just submitted[1] has been rejected. Now, I can't be terribly offended by this; coming from this particular source, "This isn't quite what we're looking for" probably just means that it wasn't, y'know, quite what they were looking for. And rejection letters are an unavoidable part of the writing process, even for authors who have previously been published.[2] So there's no use wailing and gnashing my teeth, or raging about editors who fail in their gods-given duty to tell me how brilliant I am and offer to pay me lots of money. (Especially since, again, these are very professional people who know perfectly well what they're doing. Inflating my ego and following the script of the fantasy in my head are not actually a part of their job description.)

That does not, however, mean that I wouldn't like to go home and mope for an hour or two before I get started on my next attempt.

Edited to add: I should also note that actually submitting a story for publication is a huge improvement over my usual approach, which tends more to hoping that having an active blog and maybe eventually pulling together a book-length project will somehow magically transform me into a successful author. Baby steps, folks. Baby steps.


[1] No, I haven't mentioned it before. Stay with me, here.

[2] ...Which I have not. Been published before, that is. Tragic, I know.

3 comments:

  1. Well, on the plus side your ability to plot and write realistic dialogue (even regarding completely unrealistic circumstances) is pretty danged awesome.

    Someone will catch on. I'm convinced a large portion of any talent-related field is timing and luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Beautiful Wife let me sit in a hot bath with a cold drink for about an hour last night, which apparently was just what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most awesome :) Sometimes that's the kind of thing it takes!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!