Friday, July 27, 2012

That's no moon...

So I'm walking along beside this lake at the Wichita Wildlife Refuge. I've been trying to get to this stone tower that I spotted on the other side. Unfortunately, because of the shape of the lake, I can't get to the spot I want to reach without swimming. So I decide to go back to my car and drive around.

While I was trying to find a way around, I was following the edge of the water. On the way back to the parking lot, I take a more direct route. So I'm going up this sort of low hill, with some big boulders scattered around the top. But, as I come up beside the boulders, one of them... moves just a little bit.

I've been watching my footing, so I catch this movement out of the corner of my eye and immediately stop walking. Then I look over at the boulder, I realize that it's not a boulder. It's this firk ding blast BUFFALO standing maybe eight feet from me... and it's looking at me with an expression like, "You sure you really want to do this, human?"

Gaaaaaaaaah.

So I took a couple of steps back and then circled waaaaaay around the giant bloody animals.

Seriously, what do you say to a buffalo in that situation? "Oops"?

3 comments:

  1. "firk ding blast"? Been reading Knights of the Dinner Table, have you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now to address the content of the post instead of the thing that just leaped out at me. Yeah, that's something scary to encounter, but at least it was an earthly critter and not an eldritch abomination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. KoDT? Yep, guilty as charged.

    And yeah, if it had been an eldritch abomination, I would have been That One Guy in the horror flick. You know, the guy who walks right past the monster and doesn't see it until it's too late. "Maybe they don't show up on infrared at all," says the Colonial Marine, as a piece of wall unfolds into a xenomorph behind her.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!