Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Reflections on Violence

So there we were, having a night out on Sixth Street, when I noticed... No, I'd better start a little earlier than that. There I was, working in the Pharmacy, when Kevin (not his real name, obviously) came in. He didn't act like he knew me, so I didn't "notice" him, either. But I knew him, from one of the family get-togethers a while back.

Oh, right, sorry. This is Claire. I'm just borrowing my boyfriend's computer to hack into that blog he uses when he talks about his life. I was just thinking about that night, so I thought I'd sit down and write out my impressions. And since I know my boyfriend will want to see them, and the rest of you might be curious, I figured I'd put them here, too.

So, anyway, Kevin. He was a distant cousin of mine, and the family sent him to check up on us. I'd been dating my boyfriend for a while at that point, and I was starting to think that maybe he didn't know that I was anything other than an ordinary girl. Plus, I was... well, I was getting attached to him. So I'd quit telling them about what he was doing, or how he was treating me, or much of anything, really. Looking back, that was kind of stupid. I'm sure they thought he was trying to recruit me.

So we're out on Sixth Street, and Kevin is following us, and all of a sudden these two guys attack him. My boyfriend called them the twins, because they looked alike, and says he doesn't know anything about them - and that his people don't know them, either. I believe him, partly because back when he wrote that he didn't expect me to ever find it, let alone read it... and partly because the way he reacted at the time looked like he was genuinely freaked out by the fight... but mainly because I trust him.

Whoever they were, they beat Kevin to death. So, looking back again, it's no wonder my family thought that my boyfriend's people were out to get us. It's also no wonder that they quit talking to me around that time; they weren't sure if I could still be trusted. That was why I didn't do more to protect my boyfriend; it took me a while to realize that there was a war on. I did what I could, as soon as I realized, but by then my family couldn't trust me... and just about the time I managed to explain things and start figuring out how to salvage the situation, my boyfriend caught me talking to the same cousins who had tried to kill him.

I guess I should count my blessings. That could have turned out sooooo much worse than it did.

But I don't know who the twins were, either. Still. And that's after asking around the family.

And that bothers me. A lot.

Reflections of a Deranged Cultist isn't true, so nobody has to worry about strange cults or people with the blood of snakes here in the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!