Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Challenge: Pleasant Book Surprises

(This post is part of the Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge. You can find links to other writers' answers over at Long and Short Reviews.)

Prompt: Books that pleasantly surprised me

This one's interesting mainly because books don't generally surprise me all that much. I usually have at least some idea of what I'll be getting before I start reading. The surprise -- and the joy -- is all in the journey. In fact, some of the most pleasantly surprising reading for me is going back and re-reading some of my own stuff and thinking, "Wow. This is actually pretty good."

That said, a topic like this seems incomplete without at least one recommendation, so I'm going to make one -- and one that's at least a bit outside of my usual reading material: 

Finlay Donovan Is Killing It

Just how badly would things have to go wrong to turn a divorced suburban mother of two into a contract killer? Well, given just how much was going wrong already, it turns out the answer is: "Surprisingly little."

9 comments:

  1. I often find that if I leave my own work for long enough and come back to it later, it's aged rather well. While I'm writing it, I feel like everything stinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or worse, I get that horrible feeling where I just don't know if it's any good... yeah.

      Delete
  2. I have the same reaction to stuff I’ve written!

    That book sounds good.

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm... maybe 1/3 of the way through it? ...and it's been a lot of fun so far.

      Delete
  3. When I go over stuff I've written and set aside, I find a new way of looking at it and go on from there,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really helpful sometimes. I need to get more in the habit of setting one thing aside and focusing on something else for a bit.

      Delete
  4. Hmmm...the evil that lurks in the hearts of women!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that and the frustrations of being a single parent!

      Delete
  5. I often find that with things I've written too.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!