Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Challenge: Useless Talent

For the last two years, I've been taking part in the Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge over at Long and Short Reviews. (The first link will take you to the list of topics; the second one goes to the homepage, where you can find a post with everyone's responses each week. Feel free to join in!)

This week's prompt is "an odd or useless talent" and I'm torn between thinking about talents I actually have and just, y'know, generally odd or useless talents like "good at semaphore" or "bareback llama stunt rider" or "actually enjoys golf". 

But all right, I'll go with the supposition that we're meant to be talking about our own talents, which leaves me with... 

...well...

...all right. This isn't completely useless, since it got me out of a Situation once, but here goes: I can follow a hiking trail without needing to see it. Or to see anything, really. 

There's a trick to it, of course. A standard hiking trail wears a groove in the ground. It's usually subtle, but it'll be lowest in the center and rise back up to normal ground level on either side. Which means that if you pay attention to what's under your feet, you can correct your course to stay on the trail even if, hypothetically, you walked halfway down a Tennessee mountainside by the light of a full moon, made a small campfire, and didn't realize that the moon had set until you tried to head back. 

Under those extremely theoretical circumstances, which nobody with any sense will ever find themselves in, it might conceivably be a very handy talent indeed. 

Maybe.

2 comments:

  1. That is a useful talent!

    I’ve been known to wander off of trails easily without meaning to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see that being a handy talent, given I have no sense of direction.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!