Thursday, February 28, 2013

So Much For Lunch

So, I tried to have a cheap, healthy lunch here at work. I've been experimenting with a variety of microwaveable meals for this purpose, and mostly it's gone fine. Today's attempt, however... not so much.

This was a "Smart Ones" meal. I extracted it from its box, peeled back one corner of the plastic cover, and started it cooking for a couple of minutes. Then, per the instructions, I peeled the cover back, stirred the meal, and cooked it for another minute. That being done, I reached in and pulled it out of the microwave.

The plastic tray/bowl/thingy that held the food promptly folded in half and slipped out of my fingers. It managed to invert itself in mid-air and land splat-side-down on the carpet in front of the microwave. It only missed my pants because they aren't expensive enough that I would have cared about them.

Seriously, folks... what kind of microwave meal labels itself a "Smart One" and then uses a plastic container that loses its structural integrity when heated???

To be fair, the instructions do say that I should leave the meal in the microwave for a full minute before removing it. On the other hand, so do every other set of microwave meal directions in the world, and the rest of them include it as a polite way of saying, "...so you don't burn the crap out of your fingers, dumbass." This one apparently includes it because if don't - or, who knows, possibly even if you do - the plastic container will fold like a wet noodle when you try to pick it up.

I cleaned it up and went out to lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!