Tuesday, May 17, 2011

They got it from Noah

So we're standing around on Sunday after church has let out. I'm holding Secondborn, who is now one year and one month old. One of the ladies leans in to flirt with him: "Oh, you're so adorable in your Noah's Ark shirt..." She tugs the shirt down far enough to reveal the skull and crossbones on the sail. "Oh."

I felt the sudden urge to share: "You know that pirates actually took that from the Noah's Ark story, right? While they were floating around for the forty-plus days of the Flood, Noah and his sons made a sign with a skull and two crossed bones on it, to show their mourning for... well, everyone else in the world."

I came this close to actually saying that. The whole explanation leaped into my mouth, ready to go. And I stopped myself, because I didn't want to hear someone repeat that back to me a decade from now as if it were really true.

I'm pretty sure that this is how urban legends get started.

2 comments:

  1. Man, starting a UL is one of my life-long goals. You had a pretty good opportunity there. Hopefully this blog post will spurn something. Taking quotes out of context seems pretty par for the course with UL's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That, and drawing connections between things that really have nothing to do with each other...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!