Sunday, February 6, 2022

Undone by Snow Days

Let us speak of all the things I have not done. Come, children, gather 'round. We have electricity and running water, at least. Come.  

Let us speak of the Three Days of Vacation that I applied for some weeks ago. Let us speak of the plans I had for them: the meals I would eat, the scenes I would write, the sleep I would get. There would be cooking, and cleaning, and video games! It was to be a wonder, those Three Days of Vacation. 

Let us speak of the Time of Cold that came during those days. Let us speak of the snow and ice, and the closing of the schools. Let us speak of my children, with whom I spent the last four days indoors, and let us speak of how they grow very excited at Snow Days and do not sleep. Let us speak of how it falls that when they do not sleep, I do not sleep. 

Let us speak of the dishwasher as well. Let us speak of its honorable service as a household appliance, and the many dishes it has cleaned for us. Let us speak of its demise, and our mourning, and The Great Hand Washing of the Dishes. Let us speak of the horror movies that carried me through that task, and give thanks once again that we had electricity and clean water.

Let us speak of the stories I did not write, of the resume I did not clean up, of the cover letter I have yet to produce. Tomorrow, I tell myself, knowing full well that tomorrow I will face The Inbox of Bottomless Email, and another troubleshooting call, and fasting for the bloodwork for my annual physical exam. Let us speak of the Coming of the Plumber and the Repair of the Shower, much anticipated for all that it will occupy Tuesday afternoon. Let us speak of how the promise of Tomorrow is rash and unreliable. 

Let us speak of finally returning the children to a school schedule. Let us speak of the difficulties this will entail, and the relief we hope it will bring. Let us speak of the overdue Math Homework, now all filled out and paper-clipped together as it rests in a young man's school folder. Let us speak of our hopes for the return of a regular sleep schedule.  

Let us speak of the things that have passed, and the things that we hope are yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!