Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Challenge: Holiday Food

For the last two years, I've been taking part in the Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge over at Long and Short Reviews. (The first link will take you to the list of topics; the second one goes to the homepage, where you can find a post with everyone's responses each week. Feel free to join in!)

This week's prompt is "traditional Thanksgiving foods I like (or dislike)."

Well... the thing about Thanksgiving is that everyone I know who takes part in it serves so much food that I never have any real trouble finding something to eat. Turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, green beans, and I pretty well have it covered. Maybe a couple of rolls with just ridiculous amounts of butter on them. Yes, there are things that I dislike -- I've never been fond of stuffing, for example -- but I also don't feel obligated to eat those things. 

No, the thing I dislike most about Thanksgiving lunch is that the food selections are so utterly de rigeur. It's essentially the same meal every year, and the things that I wouldn't make at other times of the year are also generally the things I don't really want to eat in the first place. 

I want to see non-traditional Thanksgiving meals. Give me a year where we start the meal mid-morning, when everyone's just starting to get hungry, and make it a breakfast selection. Go wild! Let the kids make their own waffles! Have different kinds of eggs, bacon, and sausage! Biscuits and gravy! Set out wee little bowls of cereal as a side-dish! 

Or build your family meal around a nice curry chicken, maybe with gyro meat as another option. Throw in some Greek salad and naan! Put some goat cheese on the cutting board. Tiramisu for dessert! Give me something different! 

Ahem. It's nothing against traditional Thanksgiving foods, really. I just think we need some new traditions.

5 comments:

  1. I love the idea of integrating non-traditional foods into Thanksgiving - honoring just how many different cuisines have become part of the food landscape over time. Lots to be thankful for! Have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I just... there's so much more to to food in America.

      Delete
  2. Those are great ideas, especially the breakfast. I don't eat Turkey, but I make chick pea patties instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a UK resident, I love the idea of all your Thanksgiving foods, but I can see the benefit of changing it up a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!