Friday, July 9, 2021

Shadow Academy: Progress is progress, I guess

I got a bit more done on Shadow Academy last night, despite being exhausted and unfocused. It's not much, but it's more than I had so I'll take it. (And it's still, basically, the story of a young man going off to magic school and what happens there.) I've also, in the interim, found recommendations for two more books in that same genre: 

  • It Ends In Fire by Alex Schvartz, in which a young woman enters Wizard School for the express purpose of taking down the whole of magical society.
  • Carry On, by Rainbow Rowell, the story of the worst Chosen One ever in his last year at Wizard School. Intriguingly, this book -- the first in a trilogy -- appears to have grown out of another book of hers, Fangirl, in which the main character is heavily involved in the fandom for the trilogy. 

I haven't managed to read either one, yet. (I'm finishing something else first.) But once I do, these two are next up on my list. (I may add Fangirl as well, if I enjoy Carry On.)

I feel like a lot of people are processing their thoughts about the Harry Potter books right now; it's been long enough to get some distance and perspective on them, and perhaps the author behaving badly has also caused a lot of people to reexamine them. I don't know, but I don't see that as any reason not to write my own Wizard School book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!