Monday, May 11, 2015

This is fascinating...

Okay, so: I may have mentioned my love for the Blood Omen / Legacy of Kain / Soul Reaver games already. If I haven't, well... they're awesome. They're old -- I played the original Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain title on the Playstation (one) -- but they're still awesome, and I've often wondered why they didn't do another one.

As it turns out... they did. Sort of. At least, they started to. It was going to be called Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun, and they worked on it for something like three years -- long enough for it have a teaser trailer. Long enough that it's possible to watch half an hour of gameplay... from a title that was never published:



It doesn't look like a bad game. It isn't what I would have wanted from another Legacy of Kain storyline, though, and maybe that's what they meant when they said it was cancelled because it was "just wasn't the right game, at the right time." In that case, the problem isn't so much that it was the wrong game, but that it was the wrong direction for this particular milieu. That seems like a pity, and not just because a team of developers put three years of work into a product that was ultimately cancelled. As an independent IP, completely separated from the Legacy of Kain / Blood Omen titles, I think it could have been a lot of fun to play. (Admittedly, from what I've seen so far, I'm not sure how hard that would have been to do; but it seems like the game was mostly headed off in its own direction already, so changing it over to a different world with a similar setting seems like it should have been possible...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!