Monday, July 10, 2023

Alliances Offered, Part Eleven

Jacqueline Bouvier followed the smiling servant into the elegantly-appointed room, and bowed courteously to lady Emiliana Fontaine. The steel-haired woman was still in her dressing gown, black silk patterned with silver butterflies, but looked no less regal for that. 

"Come, sit," said the lady Fontaine, gesturing to the low table in front of her; she set the example by seating herself on the floor behind it. "The servants will bring what we need for this, and then we can speak frankly."

Jacqueline moved forward and seated herself opposite her host. "You honor me, lady."

Lady Fontaine held up a hand, and Jacqueline fell silent, waiting as the servants loaded the table with a variety of breads on trays, then an equal variety of cheeses, then sweetmeats and fresh-cut fruits. There was more here than the two of them could eat; more than than all the servants together could eat. Several pitchers were carefully placed as well, and Jacqueline found a hammered silver goblet in front of her, twin to the one in front of her host. 

When everything was in place, the lady Fontaine looked up and said, "Clear the room." As the servants departed, she glanced at another woman whose shaven head made her age difficult to determine and added, "And make sure it stays clear."

"It will be," acknowledged the woman with a grin, and slipped out through a doorway that Jacqueline hadn't noticed until now. 

Lady Fontaine waited for a long moment, possibly for dramatic effect and possibly to give the servants time to get completely out of earshot. Then she said, "I did not expect to find the lady Bouvier in my home, even -- or perhaps especially -- at my son's invitation."

Jacqueline Bouvier met her eyes and said, very clearly, "You mistake me, my lady. I am lady Tabitha Andiras, here in service to my lady Bouvier." 

The lady Fontaine nodded graciously. "Of course. You must forgive me; your aunt Semira writes to me of how proud she is that you have found a place at court. But in her recent letters, she worries that with the current strife even your place as a favored servant of the firstborn daughter of Giles Bouvier, the self-proclaimed King in the East, might not be safe."

"My mistress fears the same, which is why I am here." 

"She shows an admirable protectiveness for her loyal servant," observed lady Fontaine. 

No I didn't. I left her in danger and went off here. I thought I was going into danger myself, but these people... they continue not being the sorts of people I expected. Hesitantly, she said: "But she is also using me to prepare her own escape."

"So long as she does not forget her faithful servant," said lady Fontaine, leaning across the table to pour wine into Jacqueline's goblet. The emphasis there said plainly that she hadn't missed any of the subtext, and that she expected Jacqueline to take damned good care of Tabitha. Which she'd intended anyway, but...

"I shall of course remind her to do so." Jacqueline shook her head, then decided to change the subject. "I have met your son. He is a credit to your line."

The lady Fontaine offered a brief smile. "I am his mother; of course I would think so." She paused and tilted her head, studying Jacqueline closely. "You wish to marry him?"

Jacqueline shook her head immediately. "I wouldn't presume..."

Lady Fontaine blew air out between her lips, a dismissive sound. "But you've thought of it." 

"To spite my father," Jacqueline said. Then, to cover the slip: "So my lady says. It is an alliance my lady has considered, to spite her father. But His Majesty -- Tavros -- intends to execute Giles Bouvier, and with that done there will be no need."

"No?" asked the lady Fontaine. "Well, then. Let us not dwell on such unpleasant thoughts. Your aunt never indicated that you were such an accomplished mage. Who taught you?"

With no ready lies prepared, Jacqueline Bouvier answered honestly; and from there, the conversation fell into a discussion of wizardry and spellcraft and magical traditions... and food. It was early in the day and Jacqueline wasn't usually much for wine, but before long she was finishing her second glass and glad of it.

When they finished, the lady Fontaine rose and came around the table; Jacqueline rose to meet her. 

"You have fought your first battle this day," lady Fontaine said, "and done so on behalf of my son, albeit for your own reasons. Speaking as someone who was raised in the High Court, there must be many things here that you find strange. You have my leave to come and speak to me, to ask me anything you wish, and to know that I will answer you as honestly as I can." She paused, then added: "Food and drink and their attendant distractions should have helped, but the first kill takes everyone differently. You may have nightmares; you may find yourself suddenly shaking and cold; you might be stricken with guilt... however it comes, be gentle with yourself over the next few days, lady."

That was almost more than Jacqueline could digest; she made her courtesies and stumbled out of the room, walking almost at random until she encountered a servant who led her to a bedchamber. 

She barely remembered falling into the bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!