Monday, April 3, 2023

Surreal Weekend

So on Saturday I took myself out to breakfast, and promptly got rear-ended on the way back. Complicating the matter is the fact that it was April Fool's Day, so it was difficult to say anything about it without being suspected of pulling a prank. Fortunately, nobody seemed to be injured and neither vehicle had any passengers, and both came through it all right -- by which I mean that both vehicles were still driveable, neither one was leaking anything, and nobody was stranded, not that either vehicle isn't going to need significant repairs. They are. The guy seemed a pretty decent sort, if slightly frazzled; we exchanged insurance cards and drove off. Still, on the whole, it was an event I could definitely have done without.

It's likely to make the logistics of this week kind of interesting, too.

Meanwhile, a couple of interesting situations at work, and enough going on that it's been hard to focus on any one thing. I've been working on eating less and walking more, and that seems to be helping; by the time June rolls around I should be in better shape. 

Regular sleep still remains elusive. 

Writing is... I don't know. I got frustrated with the Dark Fantasy project and dove into it again from another direction, but I'm not sure how well that works either; I need to set it aside for a little bit, and then look at it later with fresh eyes. Instead, I added some more to the Random High Fantasy project, which is a bit more light-hearted and also generally lower stress for me since I'm not as invested in it. 

We've switched Secondborn to an entirely different ADHD medication, since at this point there's been a nationwide shortage of Adderall for about four months, owing in no small part to the DEA limiting how much manufacturers are allowed to produce based on a yearly forecast -- which was ridiculously lower than the current demand -- and then having a stupidly slow and opaque system for revising their limitations based on actual demand. (It's all but unavailable, as far as I can tell. I've been able to obtain a whole ten day's supply for Secondborn since we ran out just before Christmas.)

The new stuff seems to be working, or working well enough, so far, but he's only been on it for a week; we'll see. Anybody who wants to contact the DEA and yell at them about depriving innocent consumers of necessary medication in order to justify their budget is more than justified, as far as I'm concerned. Even if the main cause of the shortage is unexpectedly high market demand -- and that's a fair argument -- they sure as shit aren't helping

I'm hoping things improve as we move into the week, but I'm also firmly convinced that they could still get worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!