Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Blogging Challenge: Favorite Things

For the last two years, I've been taking part in the Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge over at Long and Short Reviews. I've had a great deal of fun with it, so naturally I'm continuing it this year. If you'd like to participate, follow that first link for the list of prompts, and then check the main site for the weekly post with links to everyone's responses (and add your own link, if you're so inclined). 

Today's prompt is "a few of my favorite things" and while I don't think I can match the meter of the song, I can certainly offer some examples. 

Swords -- I was thinking about this one again recently, because I've fallen into writing a story with swords in it (again). I mean, it isn't just swords; it's swords, and high technology, and psychic powers, and a strange world with dangers both monstrous and surreal, all together in what I think of as "a very seventies blend" though hopefully a bit more internally consistent and great whopping load less sexist. I used to collect swords, and I still have the ones I collected; I could outfit a decent-sized group in the event of a zombie apocalypse with actual zombies. 

Ceramic Mugs -- Beautiful Wife and I have a lovely collection of these, and they're far more useful than the swords have ever been. I like the collection better than any sort of matched set; it lets me pick a mug that matches my mood. 

Stories well told -- but then, I doubt that comes as a surprise to anyone reading this. Still, let me offer a specific nod to Roleplaying Games here, as there are a startling variety of them and the experience is such wonderful mix of storytelling, dramatics, strategy, and socializing. The recent popularity of RPG podcasts has I think helped reinforce the idea that these can be every bit as much an act of storytelling as writing a book or play or making a film. 

So what about you? What are a few of your favorite things?

22 comments:

  1. There is definitely something to be said for a well-told story. Do you like sitting around a campfire (in non-covid times, of course) and telling/listening to stories that way as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, but you have to have the right camping-companions for it. Though a friend of mine did come up with a campfire RPG that requires only a notecard and a pencil for each player; successes and failures were resolved with Rock Paper Scissors.

      Delete
  2. Yep a well-told story, mugs, I have a few I love; and Swords are fascinating! Love your list. Thanks foo sharing. Here's mine. https://www.tenastetler.com/a-few-of-my-favorite-things-lsrs-weekly-blog-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Hoping to go read everybody's responses tonight.

      Delete
  3. Wow, a very interesting list. I have never given much thought to the variety of swords but I like your ideas for stories. I have to agree with liking stories well told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was planning to work on a different project entirely, but the Muse stepped out of a dark alleyway and blackjacked me with this one. I'm not exactly complaining, though.

      Delete
  4. My kid collects knives of all sorts...I can guarantee she'd LOVE to see swords!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be a lot of fun to collect, especially if you study any of the martial arts that still teach them. They're also, unfortunately, rather expensive.

      Delete
  5. Swords and high technology and psychic powers, now that is a great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certainly enjoying it so far. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  6. Swords sound so fun. I love seeing them at cons or ren faires. But I am similar with loving a well-told stories. I can't get enough of them. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My time required to finish my To-Be-Read pile exceeded the span of my mortal life sometime back, and yet I keep adding more... so, yeah: same!

      Delete
  7. Mugs. I collect mugs when I go on a trip or at museum gift shops.
    Very interested in how you're using swords in your writing. I enjoy visiting castles and they often have the swords on display. Recently, I went to an exhibit that featured several swords throughout Japan in different styles. You couldn't take photos, unfortunately, because I would have loved to post about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a shame, because I'm sure those would have been fascinating photos.

      Delete
  8. A mug for every mood. That could be the slogan for a store or story. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or one of those lovely little books/coffee/tea shops...

      Delete
  9. I'm fascinated by swords, so I get it! And agreed on a well-told story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always wanted to own a Gladius Iberius, but have never gotten around to getting one. Not that I'd really know what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree on a well-told story. I used to use RPGs to craft characters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a great list. Swords are both beautiful and interesting. Mugs are fun, too. Both things are functional pieces of art.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!