Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Functioning Adult

 So we're into the last week of January, and I'm doing my best to keep everything moving as Beautiful Wife gets her semester going. (They started a bit later than usual this year.) I'm working from home as much as I can: between Thanksgiving, Christmas, and -- oh yes! -- the previous Administration's absolute lack of a plan (and possibly even supplies) for the vaccine, I am trying to be as cautious as possible. And honestly, that's probably still not cautious enough. 

On Saturday, my two new laptops arrived. Which would have been awesome, except they weren't mine. The one I ordered arrived two weeks ago. These two... just showed up. With my address on the delivery label, but two very different addresses on their packing slip. One was meant to go to Delaware, the other to somewhere in New York; why they got sent to North Texas I cannot imagine. But I spoke to Dell and got some return labels on Monday, and yesterday I handed them off to a shipping company to make their way back. 

This week has -- so far, at least -- decided to be absurdly, hideously busy; despite working from home and the boys being busy with school, my interruptions have had interruptions. Which is not to say that things aren't getting done; they are, the things I intended to do and the unintended alike. But it's stressful as fuck, and by the end of the day I feel drained. 

Fortunately, I'm taking next Monday and Tuesday off. I love you, Out Of Office message on my email. Never leave me...

As I forecast last Wednesday, I'm re-reading Space Opera and it's everything I remembered and more; I am honestly somewhat in love with the book. And I know it's going to break me in half as I get closer to the end, and honestly I'm kind of looking forward to it. 

Meanwhile I'm getting people up on time and sometime tomorrow I need to pull the disposal off the kitchen sink and find out why it's jammed -- or, if I can't find the problem, just replace it -- and still be at my computer doing a full-time day's worth of work while making sure the boys are staying focused on their school. In other words, I need to be a functioning adult. And I am, I'm just starting to worry about how long I can keep this up. 2020 was a succession of intertangled nightmares; 2021 seems to be scaling back on some of the horrors (he says cautiously, and with some reservations) but so far it's been unrelenting in a way that I'd very much hoped we were done with. 

There are more horrors ahead, and more mundane stress and drama, so take care of yourselves and take care of each other. The best way through is together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!