Friday, November 20, 2020

Anybody else still feeling overwhelmed?

So I was feeling better for about three days right after they finally called the election. (It may have helped that I was camping at the time.) And then, of course, I come back to this steady stream of news about court challenges, most of which are based on more-or-less laughable arguments and quickly get thrown out. 

I ought to find that reassuring, but just at the moment... I don't. Because it only matters that the arguments make sense if the people judging them are acting in good faith. What worries me about this current situation -- what no-shit keeps me up at night -- is that a legal challenge doesn't need to make sense. It just needs to provide enough cover that they can find someone who's willing to wink and nod and play along and "how dare you question our integrity sir" at the rest of us. The entire establishment of institution Republicans has shown a profound unwillingness to slap Trump down for pretending that he somehow won, which means they'll play along and keep him (and themselves) in power if they can. Given the choice between living in a democracy and being in charge, they will choose to put themselves in charge every single time; they will respect and defend people's right to vote as long as they vote Republican. 

I think Biden and Harris are doing the right thing by dismissing Trump as a toddler throwing a temper tantrum, but someone -- someone with clout and charisma -- needs to be out there making the point that the Republican party is currently trying to argue that votes against them shouldn't count and THAT IS BULLSHIT. Somebody on the Democratic side needs to be screaming this to the skies, preferably in the sort cutting, catchy click-bait-able phrasing that the news media is happy to run with. 

Voting rights are still a huge issue here in the United States, and I'd very much like to see a campaign to uphold and restore them.

Anyway, all of this means that the last week/three centuries has been a horror movie sequel of the "just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water/house/basement/public square of civic participation" variety. And my ability to concentrate -- on anything -- is directly tied to my ability to ignore this as much as possible. And it doesn't help that doing that worries me too; those assholes on the Wayne County Certification Board in Michigan (Monica Palmer and William Hartman, may their names be cursed) only backed down because they got so much immediate public pushback. They were going to refuse to certify, and now they've signed affidavits swearing that they wish they hadn't. 

So, I don't know. The world's still on fire. There's some hope that we'll be able to turn this back, but as far as I can see the danger's still here; we're going to be putting out fires for some time.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I'm feeling the same way you are. You're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've been focusing on just getting as much sleep as possible, and it seems to be helping, but...

      ::sigh::

      I just need people to stop being so deliberately evil, you know?

      Delete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!