Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Challenge: Books I reread or want to reread

Long and Short Reviews has a set of prompts for their Weekly Wednesday Blogging Challenge for 2020. If you'd like to join me, the prompts are here and you can check in on their home page every Wednesday to find a post with links to people's responses. (If you do participate, add your own links so the rest of us can come and read them!)

This week, we're discussing Books That I Reread Or Want To Reread, and folks... that's so, so very many of them. I re-read books all the time. Sometimes it's to go back and see how the author did a particular thing. Sometimes I'm trying to recapture a particular mood. Sometimes it's purely for the pleasure of revisiting a favorite story or character. I have some that I come back to repeatedly -- Good Omens, for example, or Cabal -- and some that I come back to when the mood takes me, like A Night In The Lonesome October.

For me, rereading a book is the emotional equivalent of comfort food. It might not add anything particularly new, but it's safe and enjoyable and it's nice to come back to that experience.

8 comments:

  1. YES, THIS: For me, rereading a book is the emotional equivalent of comfort food. It might not add anything particularly new, but it's safe and enjoyable and it's nice to come back to that experience.

    Nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to go back to a place you enjoy/feel safe/etc. I get it. That's why I could read a few of my choices over and over. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally broke down and bought Good Omens. It's near the top of my TBR!

    My post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't thought of them as comfort food. To me it's more like a reunion with old friends. Good analogy, Michael. https://pmprescott.blogspot.com/2020/02/wednesday-challenge-021220.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way about re-reading books. I wasn't familiar with your books list. But will be checking out Good Omens. LOL Here's my list. https://www.tenastetler.com/lsrs-wednesdays-blog-challenge-2-12-20-books-i-reread-or-want-to-reread/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with your reasons for liking to reread books. And Good Omens was great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "For me, rereading a book is the emotional equivalent of comfort food."
    THIS! That is exactly how I feel too, even if I don't get to re-read as much as I used to. Lovely quote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must agree with everyone else. To equate reread books to comfort food is so spot on! Love that!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!