Thursday, April 11, 2019

Lu Mitchell

Lu Mitchell: folk singer, songwriter, satirist. She played at our wedding, and scandalized the Southern Baptist relatives on my wife's side. (I count that as a win.) She died recently, at the age of 95. She was a friend of the family, and while I didn't know her all that well I'm sorry that she's gone.

She had a voice that was very much her own, mixing humor and truth in ways that were hard to ignore. From the superficially-light humor of "The Paper Shredder" to the more seriously spiritual "This Too Shall Pass" (and yes, I realize I'm picking two examples from the same album, but that's laziness on my part rather than lack of ongoing range on hers) there were pointed observations that deserved a larger audience than they found. (She was once compared to "a banshee zonked on truth serum" and I think that misses her humor at the fundamental absurdity of the human condition, but it's still apt.)

Here's a bit from 2005:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!