Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Final(?) Addition: A Monk

So, the ten-year-old's father tells me that our last addition will be playing a Monk. (In Dungeons and Dragons terms, that's basically a martial artist: unarmed or lightly-armed combat, no armor, no shields, not able to soak up damage the way a Fighter or Barbarian can but more mobile and versatile and perfectly capable of dishing it out.) This is not a bad addition. The group could really use a tank, but if they can get some patterns and strategies together I think they can make this work. They just need to remember that they're not a toe-to-toe melee group; they need to rely on mobility, flexibility, stealth, and magic.

It's going to be interesting, because this dungeon is heavy on... well, no actually I shouldn't say; Firstborn does sometimes read this blog.

I'm still thinking about throwing an NPC fighter in with them, but I haven't decided on that yet. I may see how they do the first time they venture into the real dungeon before I make up my mind. It can be awfully fun to watch a non-standard batch of adventurers figure out how to make things work, and I'd like to see them sort out the party organization on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!