Monday, February 28, 2011

Public Service Announcement: Dihydrogen Monoxide

I was recently reminded of the dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide. (My wife was exposed to its gaseous form and burned her forearm Saturday morning.) Since some of you may not be familiar with this critical issue, let me take a moment to warn you about this dangerous and unregulated substance.

According to the Dihydogen Monoxide Research Division, "Although the U.S. Government and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) do not classify Dihydrogen Monoxide as a toxic or carcinogenic substance (as it does with better known chemicals such as hydrochloric acid and benzene), DHMO is a constituent of many known toxic substances, diseases and disease-causing agents, environmental hazards and can even be lethal to humans in quantities as small as a thimbleful."

Professor Donald Simanek explains, "Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death."

Professor Simanek supports a comprehensive ban of this dangerous substance, and Penn and Teller have also lent their celebrity status to this important cause:

Educate yourself, and be careful out there. This stuff is everywhere.


Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!