Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Weekly Challenge: Humor

(This post is part of the Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge. You can find links to other writers' answers over at Long and Short Reviews. I have not been following along as reliably this year as I did in previous years, but I'm still participating! Kind of.)

Prompt: Describe your sense of humor

Addams Family meets Dad Jokes? I'm tempted to say, "I don't know, I only just recently got it back!" Which is actually more true than I'd really like to admit; turns out I should have moved to a new job years ago. Eh, live and learn, I guess. So all right, some examples: 

Example One

Me: "Well, the prerequisites installed just fine. The upgrade, however, did not."

Co-worker: "Why does it always have to be so difficult?"

Me: "Impiety."

Co-worker: "That is... not a word I hear very often." 

Me: "I mean, Herakles had his labors; Prometheus had -- or often lacked -- his liver; and I must therefore assume that I, too, have offended the gods. Probably by being better looking than them. Zeus gets real prickly about that sort of thing."

Example Two

Email to my boss about the same upgrade: "Well, I still can't get it to run. I shall now curse the gods for this unkindness and go to sleep. I'll try it again in the morning after food and some kind of pagan sacrifice."

Example Three 

There are small plastic skeletons in the breakroom. Just a few of them. One's on top of the fridge, one's inside a cabinet, another is on a windowsill, another standing on the top edge of the blackboard. There will be more of them, and in more areas, as we approach Halloween; I have bags of the things. Under no circumstances will I admit to being the one putting them in place. 

On a related note, there is a sign on our fence that says, "Caution: Velociraptor Enclosure. Licensed Handlers Only."

Bad Puns and Dad Jokes

If I fix myself myself a waffle and eat it in secret, would you consider that action syrup-titious?

If I were to fire up the old gene sequencer and cross a homing pigeon with a piranha, do you suppose it would come back to bite me?

6 comments:

  1. Oh, too funny!

    And it’s nice to see you do WWBC again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've had a lot of Major Life Changes recently, and while my overall situation is a lot better the shakeups have really thrown me off from my regular writing projects.

      Delete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!