Monday, September 11, 2023

Ruin: Hierophant Candidates, part Seven

"You understand I have no interest in jellied shots," said Elendor, watching him from across the campfire. "I was... misled... to take up the worship of the sacred dragon Jensen, and I will not be tempted by the pleasures of the flesh again."

Ruin glanced down into the flames for a long moment. "Perhaps you think I wish to sleep with the druids who might become Hierophant, and judge them on that basis." He looked up and met her eyes. "No." He paused, drew breath, released it. Then he drew breath again and said, "I want the druids restored. They -- you -- are a vital part of Duendewood, and we are weaker without you."

Elendor studied him for a long moment, then settled back. "It is good that you know that."

Ruin kept his expression still and resisted the urge to shake his head. Elendor might prove to be the best leader for the druids, but the fact remained that he simply didn't like her. For a bastion of natural wisdom, she was abrasive, opinionated, and very set in her way of thinking. 

"I could do the job, of course," she said. "The others would follow my lead. But I have responsibilities here." She hesitated visibly, then added: "And after going astray in the worship of Jensen, I am not wholly sure I trust myself to take charge of any more than I have now."

Ruin nodded. "What of Zoriel?" 

"Young," said Elendor, "and perhaps a touch too sure of himself. Still, he was first among Saldhael's apprentices, and he did try to hold us together after the Hierophant died. He failed, but he did try. We could assuredly do worse than Zoriel, and with the position formally conferred he would have a much easier time of trying to lead us."

"Would you support him?" 

"If you chose him? Yes. Absolutely. I will support whomever you decide on, though why the Hierophant left that decision to you..."

Ruin shrugged. He was more than a little sympathetic to that reaction. "The old man had some peculiar ideas about balance and responsibility," he told her. "I don't understand it either, but I'm trying to do right by him. What of Alnira, then?"

"I don't know. I certainly question some of her decisions," Elendor said, giving Ruin a pointed look, "but she had done her best to guide and protect the less experienced of us. She is much like Zoriel in some ways; she too is young, and she too was the foremost apprentice of a respected druid. Does she desire the position?"

"No," Ruin admitted. "She feels her responsibilities here, and to the Council of Nine. She would do the job if it fell to her, but but she doesn't feel that she's ready for it."

"Wise girl," said Elendor. "And you have no interest in becoming Hierophant yourself, it seems."

Ruin shook his head immediately. "My connection to the world and its environments is very different from yours. I suppose that to some extent leadership is leadership, but I don't see how I could provide that without a fundamental understanding of the nature and needs of the druids."

"Well then," said Elendor, "you certainly have your work cut out for you. Have you any other questions for me?"

"No, but I'll come and find you if I do." Ruin rose, bowed, and turned away. Behind him, Elendor went back to mixing ingredients for poultices; it seemed she was expecting to have to treat more wounds before long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!