Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Ruin: The Bear Necessities

Ruin ducked, and the bear-woman's claws tore a chunk out of the tree behind him. He slipped aside, parrying as best he could with his sword still in its sheath. The attacks were unrelenting, and he hadn't had a chance to draw it yet. For a moment he considered trying to Dimension Door out of reach, but he wasn't that desperate yet. 

The werebear reached for him with both paws, mouth open and coming down for a bite, and Ruin shoved the tip of his scabbard into her throat. She drew back, startled and choking, then took a step back and settled back down into her True Elf form.

"You're right," Nym told him, rubbing at her throat. "That's fun. Harder than it looks, but fun."

"You've got the makings of a formidable warrior," Ruin told her. "Your natural abilities alone..." 

"Yes, but with practice--" Her eyes sparkled with glee. "--I could do so much more. I could keep everybody safe, even the druids."

Ruin nodded. 

"And I'm not the Jensenian Virgin anymore," she said, eyeing him with a barely-concealed smirk. "In fact, I'm late. I might be carrying your child."

"I wouldn't mind that," said Ruin. "Not if you don't mind. I don't know how much I'll be around to help as a parent, though. My track record isn't great on that account."

"You'd better at least make it a point to come around, even if Alnira and I..." 

Ruin blinked. "If you what?" he asked, genuinely curious. 

"We've kind of been... you know... together." 

Ruin shook his head. "I didn't know. Congratulations. I..." He shook his head, at a loss for words. "I'll come around as much as I can, of course."

Nym studied him for a moment and said, "If you live."

Ruin blinked, then blinked again. "Yes. How did you--?"

"I heard about the battle at the grove, and how you're supporting the Two Kings against the Order of Secrets, and working as the champion of Corellon Larethian..." 

"You-- I'm what?" asked Ruin, honestly aghast. 

"There was this bard who came through. He asked a lot of questions about you, but he also told a lot of stories about you. And I'm not stupid, Ruin. We've heard about the warbear queen. I think that Jensen person came out here and provoked me into attacking him just so she could become a werebear. There aren't that many of us, and it seems like an awfully big coincidence otherwise."

"Ah," said Ruin. "Oh."

"Do you want to become a werebear?" she asked. "I mean, it would make some things so much easier. And you'd be stronger, less likely to die. I could bite you all gentle-like."

Ruin hesitated. He was more tempted than he was willing to admit, but... "I don't think I have time to learn to control it," he said. 

"Later, then," Nym smiled. "In that case, do you want to... go inside? I know you've been with Alnira again. I can smell her on you, and it's making me... a little crazy. Can we do something about that?"

"We can do something about that," said Ruin, and walked with her towards the inn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!