Monday, September 3, 2018

Short Fiction: Sick Note

"It's not that we don't believe you," said the boss, "it's just that if you're out again you'll need to bring in a doctor's note."

Four hours later, Bob was roaming the street with blood in his mouth and a doctor's note in his hand. A pack of his fellow infected, his few remaining co-workers among them, hunted with him. As he caught the scent of their next victim, Bob had a brief moment of clarity: he remembered a time before he needed to hunt and feed with his packmates, and he wondered if HR regretted that idiotic sick-note policy.

2 comments:

  1. My inner proofreader cringed, so I have some corrections:

    Four hours later, Bob roaming the street with blood in his mouth, and a doctor's note in his hand. A pack[of] his fellow infected, his few remaining co-workers among them, hunted with him.
    "Roaming" should either be "was roaming" or "roamed"; present participles can't stand alone as primary verbs. You should also note where I inserted the word "of."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this is why I should proofread instead of just dashing something off and turning it loose. In my brain, he *was* roaming, but apparently my fingers went elsewhere.

      Delete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!